Saturday, June 20, 2009

Walking the dogs

Today I took the dogs for a walk on the 26. Abner decided to join us. He's 14 years old now, eyes full of cataracts and we think he's almost completely deaf (every once in a while he seems to hear us, which is why I say "almost" deaf).

Abner's been looking pretty mangy lately though. His hair has just gotten way too long. I didn't want to clip him while he had the cone on his head - just thought it would make him crazy. This is his 'before' shot:
And, this is his 'after' shot. I always think the clipping makes him look younger. I do the clipping myself with a scissors - although I should be using the clippers. When his hair is particularly snarly, the scissors work much better. Needless to say, I'd let his trimming go and his hair was very bad.


This is Sherman out walking in the fields on the 26. He's such a happy dog. (And a BIG dog - he's weighing a bit over a hundred pounds now. When he stands on his hind legs he's about 5.5 feet tall!)


This is Humphrey with Sherman in the far background - our two Great Pyr's. Humphrey is not too happy (but doesn't he look like he's smiling in this photo?). I've put him back into training. So he's got to be on the leash now whenever he's outside. He had gotten very righteous about what commands he will and will not obey - and in the meantime, gotten very skinny and is irritating his skin by scraping it under the barbed-wire fences and by not eating well. In addition, he'd started roughing up the cats when they came near the house - and keeping his brother, Sherman, away from the house when it was time to eat (not good because then Sherman would get hungry and go eat the neighbors carefully tended goose and duck eggs). So, it's back to the leash we go until he's better behaved.



It's dragonfly time again! I have several more excellent dragonfly shots in the gallery on smugmug that I uploaded from my photos today. You can see the other shots at: www.andi-tim.smugmug.com/Flowers/809938.



These boots are made for walkin'... these are my Fatbaby boots. A must-have for the spring ranch dudette fashion season. Can't walk amongst all the flowers and weeds and muddy ground without them. Must empty them out upon returning to the house as well (or I won't know what to expect to find in them the next day. Okay - that's true whether I empty them or not!)



Our property borders the Corps of Army Engineers' property. This is their fence - I always have found it funny that the sign says "no hunting" - and is full of holes from a BB gun (and not one of ours!).



Enjoy Father's Day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notice regarding Ads

We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

Contributors

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Followers