Friday, May 1, 2009

What's in a layout?

I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to lay out the photos on this site. But trust someone out there to be generous and post what it takes to make things move around. Thank you.

Anyhow - we see the red cardinals all the time. I really love the coloring on the females. This bird feeder seems to attract just about everything. It's situated off our second story deck. I can view it from my office window. All the bird shots I take from here though are taken with a telephoto lens through a window (does encourage me to keep the windows clean!).

We also saw a new bird today - at least new for this year. This is the Lesser Goldfinch. Who would want a name like "lesser" anything? What caught my ear was their song. Sounds a bit like a canary. And, the really great thing is that none of these birds leave any droppings on the deck. I suppose that's because of the cats...who sleep there much of the day. But, the cats don't really go after the birds. I want them to catch the mice, but they seem to like the flavor of lizards better. (Maybe we should try them?).

We spent several hours this morning planting. Tim got a load of good, black dirt from the City of Plano. He also had some tall plastic barrels. He cut those in half, so we would have about waist high containers, and then we filled them with dirt and berry bushes. Unfortunately, the DEER have eaten the bushes we planted on the 26 acres. I thought it would be interesting to watch these grow. The one on the left is an Ebony King Blackberry, next is a Latham Red Raspberry, then a Marionberry and finally a Seascape Strawberry.

And lastly today, I finally got a shot of the BlueJay. While they aren't really unusual, I can never get a shot of them. To take a decent photo when sitting at my desk, I have to stand up with the camera and the telephoto lens to get the shot. The problem is that the minute I stand up the jays tend to get spooked and fly away before I can focus the camera. Boy are they big birds compared to the goldfinches and the myriad chickadees we have here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notice regarding Ads

We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

Contributors

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Followers