Saturday, July 18, 2009

It's down to 87 degrees!

Working in the garden this morning since it was "cool". Cool, such a relative term these days. It's 87 degrees at 1:40pm. And that's kinda amazing around here. Tim and I are out working away in the yard. I'm done for the day and now working on photos from last night (and these below).

I found this guy in my garden. I've only seen one like this once - when all of the sudden this bug just fell out of the sky - no trees overhead - just pure, blue sky - and this giant bug just careens through the air in a downward spiral and hits the driveway in front of my toes. It's about 3 inches long, so it's no small bug (reminds me of the time I went to the nature museum in San Jose, Costa Rica. They had dead rainforest insects pinned on bulletin boards. There was one beetle that was 8 inches across and at least 12 inches long. Unbelievable. I realized that science fiction and horror movies probably weren't that far from reality!)

This guy was alive and just sitting in the shade in the little garden we have at the base of one of the rain gutters. It's dark and holds a bit more moisture there than most anywhere else on the property. He seems too big for his body; he had a hard time moving (or at least it seemed to me). Does anyone know what this is?

Grandma Louise was just chillin' on the front sidewalk. Despite that she's a completely outdoor cat, she keeps herself looking pretty good, doesn't she?

The Wandering Jew Plants are blooming again. I gave my sister some to take back to Arizona with her last weekend and the slight pruning we did to get her clippings caused them to flourish and bloom all over again.

These are my echinacea coneflowers. I'm not sure what it is about these plants, but I really dig them. You can see the heat distress they are going through by looking at the burned tips on this one.

This is a different type of coneflower. I trimmed this one as it'd reached the end of its bloom. We're saving seeds from all of our flowers this year. I've got lots of containers and Tim's labeled all of them. Each time one of the flowers that contains seeds dies, we "harvest" it and put the seeds in the container. This one still looked so pretty that I grabbed a shot of it before the seeds go into their container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notice regarding Ads

We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

Contributors

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Followers