Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Butterflies and Musings

Well, I've turned 50 now. Somehow, that should make me a better writer! Wise, sage, knowing, woman. Yeah, well. I don't find that it has had that effect. Maybe I have to be 50 longer than a week? I've started a project to improve my writing (just in case you've read the blog and thought "Geez, could she be a bit more colorful? Could there be more of a story-line here than just 'here's what happened at the ranch today'?").

Well, the best I can say about that so far, is thank goodness we live in an age where people are caring less and less about proper grammar and punctuation!

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of reading lately. I have the time and I've had the complaint that I haven't gotten enough reading in for years now. So, I've been reading everything. Blogs that interest me. Online newspapers (NY Times). Posts on FB and links that get posted as well. Books that I've owned for some time now but either haven't started, or worse, haven't finished (hard to pick up where I've left off when I 'left off' more than two years ago!). Magazines - both hard copy and online.

And what I've found most fascinating recently is an article from EnlightenNext Magazine - "2012 A Time of Extraordinary Change" from the June - August 2009 issue. It's an interview with John Peterson, founder of Arlington Institute (a think tank of futurists that consults to the Pentagon, the White House and business). What he's got to say is truly about a time of extraordinary change in the next three years.

Now - how is that relevant to Sage Creek Ranch? I've been sensing for a while now that Sage Creek Ranch is about more than our living in the country; living with more peace and serenity - but is about building a future for the times that are coming. Exactly what those times are, I don't know. But it seems that owning this land is perfectly the right thing to do. And, even if I'm wrong about the times ahead, we'll still enjoy this place and invite others to do so with us.

This is the 'front yard' of the house. Morty's cage hangs prominently. Lately, it's been hanging very still in the very hot, wet air.

The front step. I love the way this looks.

I found a butterfly in the front garden and took these shots. He wouldn't sit still for very long, so most of the shots are of him flying.


We don't have as many butterflies in the gardens as we usually do at this time of year. Not sure why. The few we do have have splendid, royal-looking wings.





Where are you finding beauty today?

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous photos Andi-macro lens???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara - didn't use the macro with the butterflies. I used the 18-200mm and then did a slight "bump-up" on the size of the butterfly in Photoshop.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Notice regarding Ads

We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

Contributors

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Followers